[INDOLOGY] Date of Candranandana

Roland Steiner steiner at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Oct 13 17:01:50 UTC 2019

Dear Mathew,

That is what I wrote Andrey privately a few minutes ago:

I cannot think of anything obvious. sgrib med (if original and not
corrupt) should be an etymological translation of the Sanskrit name of
the king. Now thakkana/thagana is not a Sanskrit word, but could
possibly be "Sanskritized" to sthagana. The root sthag means "to
cover, conceal, hide" which semantically reminds one of Tib. sgrib pa
"to obscure, to cover". Then what do we do with the negation (Tib.
med)? I now had a bizarre idea. Could it be a desperate attempt to
translate Skt. na (sthaga-na in the sense of a-sthaga or na-sthaga)? -
Most likely too hypothetical and too far-fetched.

Best,
Roland