[INDOLOGY] Date of Candranandana

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Sun Oct 13 16:54:56 UTC 2019

Dear Andrey,

It is very puzzling. I can attempt a partial explanation, but something still eludes me.

First, I suspect that the Skt. should be emended to
śrīmatthakkanadevena
although that may introduce a metrical problem, and I don't much like editing against the text if that can be avoided.

Next step, in the spirit of the "etymological" games that we sometimes find in Tibetan translations, I would read
thakka-na
taking 'na' as a negation - 'not thakka.'

Then, of the several MIA meanings of thakka, I'd suggest 'fatigued,' as we find in several NIA languages (Hindi, Nepali, etc.): thAk-

And if all of that is not fanciful enough, we must then assume the Tibetan translator rendered thakka, 'fatigued,' in paraphrase as sgrib, "in the shadows, obscured," or as we sometimes say when speaking of the mind, "clouded." In that case we would have sgrib med "unobscured" as a rough way of saying "unfatigued."

I'm not quite happy with it, but nothing better comes to mind so far.

Perhaps it's a start.

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago