[INDOLOGY] Date of Candranandana

Roland Steiner steiner at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Oct 8 17:01:11 UTC 2019

Dear Andrey,

> Anyway, given the overall quality of the available Sanskrit text, it
> is entirely possible (and very likely, i think) that
> śrīmacchakunadevena (see my previous email) is a corruption
> (possibly, deliberate “improvement”) of the
> original śrīmatthakkanadevena.

Very possible, seems to me. In Śāradā, the two akṣaras tha and ṣa are
semi-homograph. One could, therefore, speculate whether Thakkana was
first misread to Ṣakkana/Ṣakuna and then improved to Śakuna. But it's
just speculation, not more.

Nevertheless, it is also worth reading the section on Candranandana in
Meulenbeld's "History of Indian Medicine" (see attachment).

Best wishes,
Roland