[INDOLOGY] Help with translation

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Tue May 21 21:08:51 UTC 2019

The first translation that came to me for lolajihvānukāriṇi was what
Lubomir Ondracka suggests. "You who resemble a goddess with a rolling
tongue". But that seemed a little strange to me  since nīlasarasvatī is
tārā a goddess with a rolling tongue so why would you say  "she resembles a
goddess with a rolling tongue" when she is a goddess with a rolling tongue..

Is it possible the meaning could be similar to what Roland Steiner suggests
"resembling a rolling tongue" meaning as a fierce form of the goddess
"resembling a rolling tongue lapping up blood" or something similar?

I think the reading lolajihvānukāriṇi is correct because I  found another
manuscript (NGMCP A 1215/58) in addition to the manuscripts in the
Muktabodha digital library that has that reading. But if you search on-line
you can find some versions in blogs or webpages  which in place of
lolajihvānukāriṇi
the reading lolajihvāntakāriṇi but since I didn't find that reading in any
manuscripts I assumed that was probably a modern change to a difficult
reading.

Harry Spier