[INDOLOGY] Non-standard sandhi

Krishnaprasad G krishnaprasadah.g at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 13:17:30 UTC 2019

Possibility of avagrahas when अ preceded by ए and ओ
ते अत्र = तेऽत्र
विष्णो अव= विष्णोऽव

Possibility of avagrahas when visarga is dropped
hrsva अः + अ = अ is dropped and optionally to indicate अ avagraha is used

Possibility of avagrahas and double avagrahas in SavarNadirgha Sandhi( in
South Indian style and North Indian styles)

South Indian style(commonly seen in Nirnay Sagar press books Vani Vilas etc)
ऽ represents आ (not अ) and it is never used in compound words
तथा अवदत्= तथाऽवदत्  but never used in compound words, for example,
राम+आलयः= रामालयः and not रामाऽलयः
तथा आगच्छति= तथाऽऽगच्छति and this also never used in compound words.

North Indian style ( especially in Navya Nyaya texts )
ऽ represents आ (not अ) and used both  in compound words and non compound
words
रामाऽलयः
सूत्राऽर्थः

I hope this is clear when double avagraha is used.

Best
KP