[INDOLOGY] Non-standard sandhi

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Thu Mar 21 08:33:54 UTC 2019

There is maybe some parallel with what Renou Gram. p. 46 §41c (dealing with the sandhi of final -e/-o + vowels) notes about the "hiatus de a (issu du nomin. aḥ des thèmes en -a) devant initiale a- suivie de deux consonnes dans un texte bouddh[ique]", referring to Pischel SBBerl. 1904, p. 812, here:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/92836#page/890/mode/1up
ekacīvaraka asthāt instead of ekacīvarako 'sthāt
pṛṣṭa avyākṛtam instead of pṛṣṭo 'vyākṛtam
I mean (in asya) the presence of the two consonants following the initial a, which lenghtens the syllabe, and makes the initial a pronounced long, resulting in the fact that the final e here conforms with the "general" rule (becoming a(y) when followed by any vowel, except a, or diphtongue).
Conversely, the two consonants following a ā can make it considered as short, as Renou notes ibid. with the (mainly epic) occurrences of -o/-e  'tman for -a ātman.