[INDOLOGY] Non-standard sandhi

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Mar 20 04:03:09 UTC 2019

Irregularity of avagraha has sometimes confused great scholars like
Whitney.  While editing the Śaunakīyā Caturādhyāyikā on the basis of a
single available manuscript, Whitney found a rule एकेस्पृष्टं in the
manuscript.  The two previous rules described the prayatna in the
pronunciation of spirants and vowels [ऊष्मणां विवृतं च, स्वराणां च].  These
rules described the effort involved in these two types of sounds as *vivr̥ta
*"open".  Then came the rule एकेस्पृष्टं which Whitney translated as "some
consider it as forming a contact."  He then commented that this view is
"too obviously and grossly incorrect, one would think, to be worth
quoting."  Ever since I read Whitney's edition and his comments, I had a
feeling that the original rule must have been एकेऽस्पृष्टं.  The prayatna
of vowels is described as being अस्पृष्ट in many sources, and the Śaunakīya
Caturādhyāyikā was making a presentation of the *vivr̥ta *view and the
*aspr̥ṣṭa
*view as alternatives.  This was later justified by my examination of many
other manuscripts that did use the sign of *avagraha*.  So the reading in
my edition reads एकेऽस्पृष्टम्.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics