[INDOLOGY] New version of the DCS

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 21:29:05 UTC 2019

Dear Oliver,
Brilliant!
Thanks for making this new research tool available.
Your text plus your own annotated "pada-pāṭha" for Vedic and classical
Sanskrit texts is extremely useful.
I did a quick test for a few texts.
As for RV 1.1.1, last word (which we discussed earlier):
in the Rgveda the root dhā (cp. Gk. tithēmi "I establish" and IE *dhē) is
synchronically to be distinguished from dā (cp. Gk. didōmi "I give, confer"
and IE *dō), even if the two converge in meaning in classical Sanskrit as
attested by the meaning annotations of these two roots in various
Dhātu-pāṭhas.
A better meaning annotation would then be "best establisher of" (this will
apply to other occurrences, as in varivo-dhātama).
(For the subtle but not insignificant meaning difference compare "Brot
geben" and "Brot schaffen".)
After all, the reconstructed IE form underlying English "fact" and French
"faire" is ... *dhē
(which in its o-grade also underlies English "do" and German "tun", Dutch
"doen", old Germanic "dōn" which has remained "dōn" in my own native
Limburgian (east low Franconian) dialect),
definitely not *dō.
The somewhat surprising semantic closeness of *dhē and "faire" is confirmed
by the entirely appropriate annotation by Geldner, ad loc. RV 1.1.1; still,
in Vedic the verb is, of course, not flatly synonymous with kr, so from
this perspective too "best establisher of" would be a suitable annotation.
And the meaning annotation of ratna should be slimmed down: "classical"
meanings such as "gem" can, no: should, be left out in an annotation of a
Rgvedic hymn.
Best regards,
Jan

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 20:17, Oliver Hellwig via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> a new version of the DCS has been released using a new URL:
> http://www.sanskrit-linguistics.org/dcs/
>
> Better to memorize, anyway!
>
> The new version contains a number of Vedic texts, including the RV,
> larger parts of the Shaunakiya version of the AV, and related stuff.
> Be careful: Some citations of these texts have gone wrong (e.g. ShBr
> 5.2.1 instead of the correct citation 2.5.1). This is a bug in the
> export routine, and I hope to fix it at some point.
>
> Moreover, the DCS now has a built-in functionality to annotate syntactic
> dependencies, using the Universal Dependency tag set (see here:
> https://universaldependencies.org/). Some sample annotations are
> attached to the first hymns of the first book of the AV; check, for
> instance, AVS 1.1.
> I feel that having dep. anno for larger parts of the Sanskrit corpus
> would be of enormous use for linguistic research. So, if you would like
> to add dependencies on some texts of the DCS, please contact me for
> login credentials and access to the preliminary version of the
> annotation guidelines (Latex). You may even train a neural network based
> dependency annotator, which greatly speeds up annotation (but,
> unfortunately, does not seem to run in all browsers => Anybody
> acquainted with tensorflowJS and willing to improve it?)
> All annotations will be released on github along with the rest of the
> corpus.
>
> Best, Oliver

*Jan E.M. Houben*

Directeur d'Études, Professor of South Asian History and Philology

*Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite*

École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, PSL - Université Paris)

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

54, rue Saint-Jacques, CS 20525 – 75005 Paris

*johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr <johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr>*

*johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu <johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu>*

*https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
<https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben>*