[INDOLOGY] kṣupnādi class of words and the word nagara

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 02:06:27 UTC 2019

Dear list members,

Firstly happy new year.

Monier-Williams dictionary says the word "nagara" is in the  kṣupnādi class
of words, i.e. those words in which the "n" is never cerebralized.even
though it should be by the rules of internal sandhi.

I'm not clear how this is relevent to the word "nagara" since the "n" is
the first letter of the word My understanding was that the relevent rule
for cerebralizing the n was an internal sandhi rule and didn't apply
accross word boundaries.  I.e if the r ṛ ṝ ṣ were in the previous word?

Thanks for any clarification.
Harry Spier