[INDOLOGY] 'catching the ocean in a cow's hoofprint'

Christoph Emmrich christoph.emmrich at utoronto.ca
Mon Dec 23 19:26:09 UTC 2019

Dear Antonia,

Not Pāṇini-specific, but maybe still of interest to you is the appearance of the combination of the ocean and the cow's hoof print in the version of global warming found in Aṅguttara Nikāya IV 100–106. There, during pralaya, after the plants have died and the rivers have run dry, the ocean sinks to ever lower levels, from the depth of a yojana down to that of the amount of water found in a cow's hoof print: seyyathā pi bhikkhave saradasamaye thullaphusitake deve vassante tattha tattha gopadesu udakāni ṭhitāni honti, evam eva kho bhikkhave tattha tattha gopadamattāni mahāsamudde udakāni ṭhitāni honti (AN IV 102,6-9).

Warmly,
Christoph

----

Christoph Emmrich

Associate Professor, Buddhist Studies
General Secretary, IABS

Director, Centre for South Asian Studies

at the Asian Institute, Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy

Chair, Numata Program UofT/McMaster

University of Toronto