[INDOLOGY] 'catching the ocean in a cow's hoofprint'

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 18:25:21 UTC 2019

He concludes his article thus :

Patañjali then concludes that this method of individual enumeration,
pratipada-pāṭha, is equal to no method at all; instead, *a set of rules*
formulated with the general (sāmānya) and particular (viśeṣa) in mind would
allow us to understand *the enormity of language* with *little* effort.112
And this is what Pāṇini did: *with a small set of rules, he captured – as
the saying goes – the ocean in a cow’s hoofprint*.

He just says, " as the saying goes "

Antonia-ji is asking for the source of this saying and its Sanskrit
version.