[INDOLOGY] nāṭyaśāstra citation

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 03:33:15 UTC 2019

Dear list members,

On page 49 of the Rasa Reader quotes a sentence from the nāṭyaśāstra .
"Discerning viewers relish the stable emotions manifested by the acting out
of various transitory emotions and ractions . . . they feel joy and the
like in doing so".  He cites nāṭyaśāstra 1.282 as the source (footnote 9),
Further back on the page he cites nāṭyaśāstra  1.342  but there are only
127 verses in chapter one.

Am I missing something or are these verse numbers cited incorrect.  If so
can someone give me the correct citing for the sentence from Pollock that I
quoted above.

Thanks,
Harry Spier