[INDOLOGY] Thanks from Dr. Valerie Roebuck re. Udānavarga

James Hegarty hegartyjm at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 24 16:03:57 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues

Thank you so much for all your help on the Udānavarga verses. It seems clear now that the similes in vv. 13 and 14 are about respectively (13) weaving and (14) a condemned man on the way to execution, both of which fit very well into a chapter on Impermanence. The spider may possibly have crept in an a result of a misreading.

As ever, I am awestruck by both the range of expertise and the helpfulness of this List. I seem to have dropped off it by accident, but hope to be back soon.

Best wishes

Valerie Roebuck