[INDOLOGY] Indication of Case

victor davella vbd203 at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 12 17:04:47 UTC 2019

Dear all.

Today I stumbled upon a remark that caught my attention. Hermann Brockhaus
mentions that in good, carefully written Indian manuscripts the case
relation between members of a compound is often written above the words
with a numeral corresponding to the case in the usual Sanskrit system
(prathamā vibhaktiḥ, etc.). I have not seen this before, but I have not
read all that many manuscripts. Does this ring a bell for anyone?  The
original text can be found here
<https://books.google.de/books?id=l5BFAAAAcAAJ&hl=de&pg=PA18#v=onepage&q&f=false>.
It
is also pasted below but will perhaps not come through. The reference is:
p. 18, Ueber den Druck Sanskritischer Werke mit lateinischen Buchstaben von
Hermann Brockhaus, Leibzig, 1841.

Many Thanks,

Victor

[image: image.png]