[INDOLOGY] Request for commentaries on YS

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 02:27:16 UTC 2018

Dear Philipp,

Thank you very much for your clarifications. They are very helpful. Always
glad to learn more about these texts from your expert knowledge of them.

I understand from your writings that all printed editions of the
Pātañjalayogaśāstra transmit the vulgate or "northern version." The
"southern version" is at present only accessible by way of your critical
edition of the first chapter, and in part by way of the Vivaraṇa by Śaṅkara.

You also point out that the 1917 revised edition in the Bombay Sanskrit
Series gives some variant readings in the footnotes. The 1892 first edition
that I posted does not.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.