[INDOLOGY] Confession of ignorance and request for your kind advice

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 11:15:55 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues

I have been working for a while on a short text variously ascribed to
differently named authors, a text called Praśnottararatnamālikā / ºmālā.
Several of the manuscripts I was able to obtain have interlinear
commentaries (well, I understand them to be commentaries), but I cannot
read them. I can live with that, but I'd at least like to know what
language they are in.
One of them is in Harvard, and the catalogue information for this
manuscript contains the following:

Interlinear commentary throughout the manuscript might be in old Hindi or
Prakrit but Poleman has identified it as Gujarathi. The beginning and the
end of the commentary is as follows, on [[facs=f1r, locus=f. 1r]]
śrīgautamāya namaḥ namaskarī kevalī taṇatu svāmī tīrthaṁkara
praśnottararatnamālāprakaraṇa bolisu . dānavamanuṣya
devatāvaṁdanīka pūjya tathā deva māhi śrī mahāvīra and on
[[facs=f4v, locus=f. 4v]] 28 nīpajāvī śvetāṁbara ācārye īṁ vimala
īsaiṁ nāmi īṁ ūjhalī praśnottararatnamālā kaṁṭhirahi huṁtī
puruṣa pratina tralakarīṁ api tu alaṁkarī īṁ 29 .

Another MS contains, for instance, near the beginning the following (I
don't know how to split the words so I just transcribe as scripta continua
as well as I can read it):
tehaniṁnamīniṁ praśnottaratnamālā nāma prakaraṇa kahispuṁ

Any advice would be appreciated, and with excuses in advance for my utter
ignorance.

Jonathan

--
J. Silk
Leiden University

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk