[INDOLOGY] sha and kha

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 20:15:39 UTC 2018

I'm sorry to be lazy, but is it possible to summarize the scholarship on
ṣ/kh alternation as stating that it is

   - due in some cases to orthographic practice,
   - in other cases to spoken dialectical variation, and
   - in yet other cases to the orthographic recording of a spoken form?

In other words, when we see ṣ/kh in manuscripts, it's not automatically
possible to tell whether we are seeing a valid recording of phonetic /ṣ/ or
/kh/, or just a scribe writing kh when he sees ṣ in his exemplar or hears
/ṣ/ in the dictation he's following?  So a critical editor should not
automatically transcribe vikhaya or dokha as viṣaya and doṣa?

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada