[INDOLOGY] quote source

Loriliai Biernacki loriliai.biernacki at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 30 01:48:34 UTC 2018

Thanks to Tim Lubin and Tim Cahill for such speedy replies!

All best,
Loriliai Biernacki

From: "Lubin, Tim" <LubinT at wlu.edu<mailto:LubinT at wlu.edu>>
Date: Monday, October 29, 2018 at 7:00 PM
To: Loriliai Biernacki <Loriliai.biernacki at colorado.edu<mailto:Loriliai.biernacki at colorado.edu>>, "indology at list.indology.info<mailto:indology at list.indology.info>" <indology at list.indology.info<mailto:indology at list.indology.info>>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] quote source

It is Bhartṛhari’s Vākyapadīya 1.140.

Best,
Tim Lubin

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion and Adjunct Professor of Law
Chair of the Department of Religion
204 Tucker Hall
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, Virginia 24450

http://home.wlu.edu/~lubint
http://wlu.academia.edu/TimothyLubin
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=930949
https://hcommons.org/members/lubin

From: INDOLOGY <indology-bounces at list.indology.info<mailto:indology-bounces at list.indology.info>> on behalf of INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info<mailto:indology at list.indology.info>>
Date: Monday, October 29, 2018 at 8:55 PM
To: INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info<mailto:indology at list.indology.info>>
Subject: [INDOLOGY] quote source

Dear folks,
I’m wondering if anyone knows the source of this quote I found in Abhinavagupta:

'pravibhajyātmanātmānaṃ sṛṣṭvā bhāvān pṛthag vidhān |
         sarveśvaraḥ sarvamayaḥ svapne bhoktā pravartate  ||'

Which I’ve translated as: Dividing the Self by the Self, having created entities of different types, he places them separately.  The Lord of all, consisting of all, is the enjoyer, the experiencer in dreams, who sets things in motion.

Thanks for any assistance!
All best,
 Loriliai Biernacki