[INDOLOGY] Draupadii and polyandry

Joydeep jbagchee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:30:51 UTC 2018

Dear Andrew,

I agree that Oliver has done some careful and interesting work. But in
“Stratifying the Mahābhārata,” he makes no claims about the MBh’s dates.
Cf. the remark: “I would like to emphasize that these findings do not imply
any statement about the sequence of events that led to the composition of
the BhīP or of the Mbh. They can be reconciled [both] with theories that
postulate a relatively short duration of composition [and] with temporally
more extended models […], because the algorithm does not contain a temporal
component” (ibid., 134). Oliver explicitly emphasized this point in our
conversation in Vienna. See *Philology and Criticism*, 100, n. 81. I
haven’t examined the other articles yet, but now that you have drawn my
attention to them I will. A quick perusal reveals that “A Chronometric
Approach to Indian Alchemical Literature” doesn’t mention the MBh at all,
whereas “Etymological Trends in the Sanskrit Vocabulary” only places the
MBh as a whole within a broad period (500 BCE–300 CE) and doesn’t make any
claims about strata *within*the MBh. Oliver’s work is valuable precisely
because it avoids speculation as to “redactors,” their motives, assumed
sequence and rationale for interpolation, *Besitzwechsel*, etc.

All best,

Joydeep

Dr. Joydeep Bagchee
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Academia.edu Homepage <https://fu-berlin.academia.edu/JoydeepBagchee>

The Nay Science
<http://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-nay-science-9780199931361;jsessionid=94DFF6B197750DBE7C7E64A4FB8B28D2?cc=de&lang=en&>
Argument and Design
<http://www.brill.com/products/book/argument-and-design-unity-mahabharata>
Reading the Fifth Veda <http://www.brill.com/reading-fifth-veda>
When the Goddess Was a Woman <http://www.brill.com/when-goddess-was-woman>
Transcultural Encounters between Germany and India
<http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415844697/>
German Indology on OBO Hinduism
<http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195399318/obo-9780195399318-0147.xml>
What, then, is Philosophy?