[INDOLOGY] Draupadii and polyandry

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Sat Oct 27 17:41:39 UTC 2018

Dear Discussants,

In his letter (the first *re*) Jan E.M. Houben writes: "Then in the
Mahabharata there is suddenly the major character of Draupadii/Krsnaa
marrying all five Pandava brothers."

Suddenly. The unexpected appearance of the motif.

Unexpected – and seen as such in the Mbh. (I, CLXLVIII);  the two
mythological precedents given there seem to be unknown to those who
participate in the exchange of opinions on the project.

The creation of the epic is in itself a political act. Why, then, shouldn't
we treat the acts of its heroes as mirroring the political ethos of the era?

The question arises – why? Why would the epic makers want Draupadi to marry
'all five Pandava brothers'? To my mind – a signal, directed to the
prospective audiences of the epic, confirming their *belonging to*.

You were kind enough to kill my supposition – using the
philological/logical arsenal of counter-arguments.

The Mahabharatian stratigraphy. A difficult subject, in itself.

But – to my mind (again) – what is unexpected, devoid of precedents, might
be rightly treated as belonging to the epic's later stratum. As something
disturbing, a novelty, unsettling in its very unexpectedness. Demanding
explanations – and given them, but – unconvincing and weak. Opening the
space for the appearance of successive, ever new concepts of feminine
power. And freedom. Vide the popularity of the motif of the Draupadi's
*svayamvara* – in its modern film-and-theatrical versions.

https://www.google.pl/search?source=hp&ei=LZrUW4fFNLLPrgScvZHAAg&q=draupadi+swayamvar&oq=Draupadi+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l10.1903.4327.0.8316.10.7.0.2.2.0.177.634.6j1.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.9.642.0...0.Tidik47OxuA

[About 108,000 results !!!!]

A bit more on *unexpectedness* – no one called my way of thinking on the
nature of Indian cultural processes (with their search for the ways of
intercommunication) as *racist*. Not so far.

Regards –

Artur Karp

:

>>> http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.