[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Rajput Paintings at Krannert Art Museum

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:54:45 UTC 2018

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

A colleague at the University of Illinois, who is not a member of this list, is curating an exhibition of Indian miniatures and illustrated manuscript pages and needs help in identifying the script (variant), language, provenance, and/or subject matter of several texts. The materials come from a private collection that was donated to our Krannert Art Museum. They are accessible at

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ipc34jffji6oh7/AAB9eP_ptfkc-YCH7HdJWyFxa?dl=0

Many of the texts are in Sanskrit and appear to come from the Bhagavata Purana and the Devi Mahatmya, but even for these it would be useful to get more detailed information. At least one other text (from the Sangrani Sutra) seems to be in (Jaina) Prakrit, and one of the texts seems to employ a script variant that occurs in Grierson’s Marwati examples.

My colleague would be very grateful for any more specific information on all of the materials, including information on their likely provenance. To avoid delays in transmission, it would be wonderful if you could send your comments off-list, directly to purpura at illinois.edu<mailto:purpura at illinois.edu>

Thanks and best wishes,

Hans Henrich Hock