[INDOLOGY] Help identifying the deity of a gayatri mantra

Joel Eugene Bordeaux jeb2104 at columbia.edu
Wed May 30 22:29:22 UTC 2018

While we’re at it, does anyone know of sources exploring the theoretical basis for or historical development of these ‘gayatris’?

For example, in what sense is the mantra below a ‘gayatri’ beyond containing the verbs dhīmahi and pracodayāt? Is there any relation postulated between the 'gayatris' of Kubera etc. and Gayatri as a goddess?

 With thanks,
J.

Joel Bordeaux
Visiting Scholar