[INDOLOGY] Rajaparikatharatnamala of Nagarjuna.

Dan Lusthaus yogacara at gmail.com
Thu May 10 15:35:09 UTC 2018

Dear Matthew,

Thanks for the clarification. Actually the same thing happened with Nanjio Bunyiu’s 1883 catalogue of titles in the Chinese canon, in which he attempted to create back-translated Sanskrit titles, most resulting in bogus titles that were nonetheless copied and repeated throughout most of the 20th century and still appear from time to time, even when actual titles have been discovered or a text has been identified as an East Asian apocryphon purporting to be a Chinese translation of an Indian text and thus had no Indic title. Additionally, many Chinese titles of Buddhist texts include classification information of the type of text, affiliation, etc., which were not part of the original Indic title, which many scholars still include when rendering the titles into Sanskrit. There are parts of Tibetan titles that are the same.

best,
Dan