[INDOLOGY] Akananuru Critical Edition and Akam 24

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Tue May 1 10:40:00 UTC 2018

Dear Dr Palaniappan,

I have nothing to contribute to the discussion of vēl̥ā[r]ppārppaṉ. However, I do have a comment on Wilden’s translation of the passage. My remark concerns her translation of the word koḻuntu with “splinters” (followed by a question mark). Actually, the image is quite clear. The bud of the pakaṉṟai, or jalap, looks very much like a conch shell, both ending in what might with some imagination be called a plume. This is one of the meanings of koḻuntu (see the Tamil Lexicon, which refers to the plume of the yak tail). It is this part of the conch shell which is left over after having sawn through the shell, as for bracelets one uses its wider part.

As to the construction vēl̥ā-p-pārppāṉ, a brahmin/priest/pārppāṉ, with this difference that this is a brahmin/priest/pārppāṉ who does not sacrifice”, there is an article on this turn of phrase by Leen van Daalen in Sanskrit literature. Unfortunately I do not have the exact reference at hand. I think, though, that it was published in Indologica Taurinensia.

Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag