[INDOLOGY] Cataloguing South Asian materials for non-librarians?

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 23:35:29 UTC 2018

Dear Edward,

I sent this message earlier but it didn't go through to the indology list.

If you want to show your audience examples of good sanskrit manuscript
cataloguing practices then I suggest you look at the on-line catalogue of
"The Paper Manuscripts of the French Institute of Pondicherry" which was
prepared under the direction of DeviPrasad Mishra and Dominic Goodall.

It is at the Muktabodha website(along with the manuscripts) at
http://muktalib7.org/IFP_ROOT/access_page.htm

You need to register to access the catalogue and manuscripts.

Since its on-line it should be easy to make handouts from this. Also I
don't know if this is relevant to your discussions but the pagination data
(called "range of folios" in the catalogue records) was invaluable when I
and my team photographed the collection in 2005 since quite often there
were errors in the original page numbers such as a page number repeated or
left out etc. and sometimes the pages were simply out of order and having
these carefully noted already in the catalogue record saved an immense
amount of time in determining whether pages were out of order or missing in
the manuscripts.

Harry Spier