[INDOLOGY] Accuracy in translations

Camillo Formigatti camillo.formigatti at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 13:50:03 UTC 2018

Dear Dominik,

I agree with you in general on the point you raise, but I don’t think the discussion has turned to the idea of a universal right way to translate, not for me at least. The title of the thread was changed to Accuracy in translations and I tried to suggest a practical way of overcoming a specific problem of inaccuracy, which is a totally different thing than trying to find a universal way of translating—as you point out, there are different translators, different audiences and I would also add different target languages that might be involved in the translation of the same text.

I am aware that at the same time I was broadening the scope of the discussion, admittedly to a topic not related to translation techniques, namely the political weight of scholarly disciplines and its influence on the disciplines themselves. This last topic was more important to me when writing my reply, rather than the other.

Best wishes,

Camillo