[INDOLOGY] Accuracy in translations

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 11 21:20:16 UTC 2018

Dear David,

Those involved in Tibetan translation often harbor, I think, a mistaken idea of "literalness" and its role in Tibetan translation. They incorrectly believe that creating a fairly consistent table of lexical equivalents is a sign of this "literalness." But if we consider terms such as sangs-rgyas for buddha, or byang-chub for bodhi, we learn that they were neologisms invented to stand in for the Skt. terms in question. That is, they became "literal" equivalents by sustained regular usage.  And when we compare Tibetan translations from Skt. with those from Chinese, we learn that there was a phase during which there was far less certainty about what counted as literally correct.

Tshor-ba, for instance, could be used as an equivalent of Skt. vedanA, "sensation," or of Chinese jue, "awakening." Which one did it "literally" stand for? The question seems to me to be fundamentally misconceived.

"I have hunger" is the literal translation of French "j'ai faim," but is an incorrect translation, in that it makes erroneous use of the target language.

I would agree that translation from Tibetan has become far more nuanced in recent years than it was not long ago. But the traductology remains rudimentary.

all best,

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago