[INDOLOGY] Steven Collins

Eltschinger, Vincent Vincent.Eltschinger at oeaw.ac.at
Fri Feb 16 17:05:20 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,
Since apparently nobody reported about the extremely sad news of the sudden passing of Steven Collins, I allow myself to forward the message posted this morning by Charles Hallisey on H-Buddhism.

Notice> Steven Collins (1951-2018)<https://networks.h-net.org/user/login?destination=node/1386999>
by Charles Hallisey
I write, with a shock, sadness, and grief beyond any words that I know, to pass on the news that Steven Collins has died suddenly in New Zealand, where he had just gone to teach a special series of seminars.

Steven Collins was many things to many of us.  He was, of course, Chester D. Tripp Professor in the Humanities in the Department of South Asian Languages and Civilization at the University of Chicago.
But to me, he was, above all, my friend.

The Buddha was right when he said that life is uncertain, death is certain,

but Marx was also right when he said that death is hard for the living,

Charles Hallisey
Harvard Divinity School

Vincent Eltschinger, korrespondierendes Mitglied der OeAW
Directeur d'études
École Pratique des Hautes Études, Section des sciences religieuses
Patios Saint-Jacques, 4-14 rue Ferrus - 75014 Paris
vincent.eltschinger at ephe.sorbonne.fr
0033 1 56 61 17 34 / 0033 7 85 86 84 05