[INDOLOGY] A terminological question

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at oeaw.ac.at
Wed Aug 8 15:36:13 UTC 2018

Pollock uses "hyperglossia" for a relationship between languages,
though, as a special hierarchical case of diglossia, not for describing
individual acts or habits of linguistic choice (which seems to be what
the original question was after).

Birgit Kellner

Am 2018-08-08 um 11:01 schrieb Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY:

> I don't recall that Pollock limits it to translation. And it
> definitely refers to moving from a "lower" to a "higher" linguistic
> register, which is not quite what we mean by "euphemism".
>

> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études,
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

----
Prof. Dr. Birgit Kellner
Director
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Hollandstrasse 11-13/2
A-1020 Vienna
Austria