[INDOLOGY] A terminological question

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 8 09:01:06 UTC 2018

I don't recall that Pollock limits it to translation. And it definitely refers to moving from a "lower" to a "higher" linguistic register, which is not quite what we mean by "euphemism".

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago