Re: [INDOLOGY] camatkāra

Raffaele Torella raffaele.torella at uniroma1.it
Fri Apr 13 18:25:07 UTC 2018

I wish to thank all the colleagues who kindly responded to my query (also off-list).

Let me add some short remarks:

Nagaraj Paturi refers me to the chapter “Camatkāra” in Raghavan’s Some Concepts… It was one of the first things I read when I started taking interest in this subject. A bit disappointing, I should say, particularly because the learned author seems to think that four pages are enough for this intriguing concept.
David Mellins refers me to Pratīkāra-Indhurāja’s commentary on Bhāmaha’s Kāvyālaṃkārasaṃgraha for a pre-Ānanda occurrence of camatkāra, quoting De about the date of Pratīkāra-Indhurāja. I rather cling to the position of Kane, who after a lenghty discussion arrives at a later date (925-950). And even later, if we identify Pratīkāra-Indhurāja with the Indhurāja who taught the Dhvanyāloka to Abhinava.
Harry Spier advises me to search the database of Muktabodha, which however hardly contains early texts.
Asko Parpola suggests me to read Shulman’s paper. I had read it, but it mainly focuses on later developments (like the Camatkāracandrikā). Of course, he also refers to some passages from Abhinavagupta (following Gnoli’s translations), but perhaps it would have not been out of place to point out that the abrupt entrance of this seminal concept in Indian philosophy occurs not with Abhinava, but with his paramaguru Utpaladeva (the very important passages on camatkāra in the ĪPVV are after all comments on what Utpaladeva wrote in no more extant Vivṛti passages).
Indeed worth reading is Heidegger’s essay, suggested by Hartmut Buescher.

Many thanks again!
Raffaele