Re: [INDOLOGY] camatkāra

Hartmut Buescher buescherhartmut at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:38:07 UTC 2018

Having thanks to the quick availability of David Shulman's "Notes on
Camatkāra"

been able to go through the article, I noticed that, although *en passant*
touching on

the meaning of this term in the philosophical system of Pratyabhijñā, he
predominantly

concentrates on its originally (thanks to Abhinavagupta) not altogether
unrelated

employment in later *alaṅkāra* contexts. For the sake of scholars with a
considerable

interest in comparative philosophy, such as Matthew Kapstein (who requested
a pdf

of the article in the present context), it may be remarked that the most
important

reference provided in *Tāntrikābhidhānakośa* II: 231 under the lemma
*camatk**āra* is

actually to note 23 of Prof. Torella's *The **Īśvarapratyabhij*
*ñākārikā of Utpaladeva *

*with the** Author's Vṛtti* (1994: 118f.).

Unfortunately, Shulman does not display any awareness of Torella's
masterful work.

In the context of Utpaladeva's Pratyabhijñā philosophy *camatk**āra*, as
Torella explains,

has a profound significance in connection with realizing/re-cognizing one's
Self,

one that "goes beyond that relative and momentary transcendence that one
has in

the aesthetic experience of poetry and the theatre" (*ibid*.). He provides
a number

of adumbrative terms, introducing these by saying "[t]he terms with which
it is

glossed or with which it is closely related may be grouped according to its
principal

components: cognition, bliss, wonder."

Given Matthew's primary field, let me add that *camatk**āra* in the
Pratyabhijñā context

closely resembles that of *ṅo mtshar* as employed by Kloṅ chen pa and other

rDzogs chen philosopher in the Tibetan context.

Aware of the largely common geographical origin of modes of thinking that

subsequently was turned into parallel systematic philosophical
developments,

this may not be altogether surprising.

Naturally, this sphere has received hardly any independent attention

by Western philosophers. Yet, there actually is a rather astonishing focus

in one of Heidegger's works. In volume 45

*Grundfragen der Philosophie. Ausgewählte "Probleme" der "Logik" *

of Martin Heidegger, *Gesamtausgabe*, (II. Abteilung: Vorlesungen
1925-1944),

those interested in this ontologically attuned aesthetico-phenomenological