[INDOLOGY] Source of Āditya Kavacam (?)

(Maitreya) Borayin Larios shrimaitreya at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 07:52:23 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

I have been trying to source a hymn entitled the "Āditya Kavacam." So far,
I have only found a version on the Internet which gets copied around in
different websites. For instance: http://www.vignanam.
org/veda/aditya-kavacham-devanagari.html The Sanskrit has definitely a few
typos and overall I am rather skeptical of online material that does not
cite its sources.

The "armor" in this version says that its source is the Gaurī Khaṇḍa of the
Skāndapurāṇa (iti skāndapurāṇe gaurīkhaṇḍe āditya kavacaṃ sampūrṇam)
however, I have not found it in the editions available to me. I know that
many texts claim its source in the Skāndapurāṇa which, however, ends up
being not more than just a claim. I wonder if the "Āditya Kavacam" is such
a case.

In any case, I would appreciate if anyone has a scan or a more reliable
source for this text since all I have been able to find so far has only
yielded one source in Kannada language that I, unfortunately, cannot read.

Best,
Borayin

[image: --]
Borayin Maitreya Larios