[INDOLOGY] Identifying a verse

Klaus Karttunen klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi
Mon Nov 6 12:24:17 UTC 2017

Still more precisely, Anvār-i Suhailī is Persian version (once removed) of Ibn al-Muqaffa’’s Arabic Kalila wa Dimna, which is based on Burzōe’s lost Middle Persian translation of the Pañcatantra. The story in question is the last in the fifth chapter of the KwD (no. 37 in Chauvin’s numbering). In Pañcatantra it is 1, 11 of Edgerton, 1, 17 of the Tantrākhyāyika, and 1, 28 of Pūrṇabhadra. With John of Capua it entered European literature, thus e.g. La Fontaine 9, 1 “Le dépositaire infidèle” is a new version of the same. In Anvār-i S. it is the last (28th) story of the first book in Wollaston’s translation.

Best,
Klaus

Klaus Karttunen
South Asian and Indoeuropean Studies
Asian and African Studies, Department of World Cultures
PL 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B)
00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND
Tel +358-(0)2941 4482418
Fax +358-(0)2941 22094