[INDOLOGY] jIvanmukti

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Thu Nov 2 10:43:24 UTC 2017

 Dr.Mccartney,

                With regard to your question on Jivanmukti,( an Adwaitya Doctrine)and whether

it is a' permanent disposition' if I may digress a little bit ,and focus on the Buddhist view

of Nirvana, I think that may be an answer to your later query.

                                                      In the Khandaka Vagga of Samyukta

Nikaya( the 3rd part of Sutta Pitaka) Siddhartha Gautama Buddha in presence of Sariputta and

other Bhikkhus clearly spells out the conditions for attaining liberation ( or Nirvana) IN

THIS WORLD.

 Buddha makes it a point that the mendicant has to show aversion to Perception.....aversion to

Composite Unity( i.e. Samskara)....aversion to consciousness( i.e.the  Pancha Skandha...namely

Rupa,Vedana,Samgya,Samskara Vigyan),and he will be liberated in this world.Thus Nirvana lands

a Bhikkhu in such a state of mind where his liberation, in this life, is of 'permanent

disposition.'

                                                              ALAKENDU DAS