[INDOLOGY] Private Indic manuscript libraries

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 02:16:01 UTC 2017

It's not at all delicate, but one can buy Sanskrit manuscripts quite easily on
eBay
<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sanskrit+manuscript&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc>.
Some even appear to be astral tables.  I have tried this out with one
manuscript, as a proof-of-concept, and it worked perfectly well.  I got an
1830 CE copy of a medical text, no illustrations, for $100.  It is a real
manuscript, though of course *caveat emptor. *

To export an item more than 100 years old from India requires a license
from the Indian Department of Antiquities.

Best,
Dominik

​
--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
​,​

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
​,​

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
​,​
University of Alberta, Canada