[INDOLOGY] Patanjali in the Puranas?

Hartmut Buescher buescherhartmut at gmail.com
Mon May 22 21:08:25 UTC 2017

>[... ]Meulenbeld's mere opinion (not shared by Biardeau) on Bhartṛhari's
stanza.

It is neither shared by Wilhelm Rau (*Bhartṛharis Vākyapadīya*, 2002: 38)
when he translates:
“Die Beseitigung der Beschmutzungen, welche sich auf Körper, Rede und
Erkenntnisvermögen beziehen, findet [entsprechend] statt durch die
Heilkunde,
die Grammatik und das auf den ātman bezügliche Handbuch.”

Though translating the phrase *cikitsālakṣaṇādhyātmaśāstrais*
in a somewhat awkward manner, it is clear that there was no reference
to any person/Patañjali for him in VP I.174.
Correctly, in my view, Rau rather emphasized the correlation
between *kāyavāgbuddhi* and *cikitsālakṣaṇādhyātma*, that is,
when Bhartṛhari expresses that each of the three modes of human existence
– the 3rd personal dimension of organic organisation (*kāya*), the
linguistic means
of communication (*vāk*) in the intersubjective 2nd personal dimension, as
well as
first personal (self-referential) dimension of intelligent cognition (
*buddhi*) –
has its particular range of relevant means (elucidated in pertinent
treatises) to remedy
what's improper.

HB
.