[INDOLOGY] Patanjali in the Puranas?

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Mon May 22 15:53:22 UTC 2017

Thank you much for the copy of Meulenbeld's pages providing us with probably all the references available at the time of their writing. I would add Harimoto's brief comment in "God, Reason and Yoga" (2014)  p. 215, about the famous ("widely known among the grammarians" - and in this respect quoted  for instance in the introductory colophons of several Mahābhāṣya mss., and by various commentators, not only on the YS like Vijñānabhikṣu) stanza which is also found in the final (post-)colophons of the YVi mss.:
yogena cittasya padena vācāṃ  malaṃ śarīrasya tu vaidyakena |

yo 'pākarot taṃ pravaraṃ munīnāṃ  patañjaliṃ prāñjalir ānato 'smi ||

This "multi-shared/"floating" stanza could be older than the statement found in the introductory stanza (5, 6 or 7) of Bhoja's commentary on the YS (which allows Bhoja to declare that he too has composed in the three fields), or the introductory stanza (3) of Cakrapāṇi's commentary on the CarakaS (quoted by Woods 1977: xix).
Going back to Aklujkar's point  'b', it should be noted that according to Meulenbeld himself (p. 143) "Bhartṛhari's Vākyapadīya contains a verse that obviously also refers to Patañjali as a threefold authority, though without mentioning his name".
See :

kāya-vāg-buddhi-viṣayā  ye malāḥ samavasthitāḥ /
cikitsālakṣaṇādhyātma-śāstrais teṣāṃ viśuddhayaḥ // VP 1.174 //

and Biardeau 1964 (pp. 186-7) for the text (and French translation) of the old vṛtti (ad 1.146 in her edition), which also does not refer namely to Patañjali (and does not ascertain that adhyātma-śāstra means here yoga-śāstra, as it has been understood by later commentators; the "vāk-ceto-vapuṣāṃ malaḥ phaṇibhṛtāṃ bhartrā_iva yena_uddhṛtaḥ..." of Bhojadeva sounds in its beginning like an echo of Bhartṛhari's stanza, with the use of the word bhartṛ [of the serpents = Patañjali] possibly evoking in a pun also the name of the author of the VP).
Dominik's statement that Bhoja's assertion is the first clearly attested one remains nevertheless not contradicted by Meulenbeld's mere opinion (not shared by Biardeau) on Bhartṛhari's stanza.
The parallelism traced by Meulenbeld between the "multifaceted" legendary figures of Nāgārjuna and Patañjali, both "Lords of serpents", is interesting.

Best wishes,

Christophe Vielle

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve