[INDOLOGY] Buddhasrijnana's Abhisamaya commentary

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu May 11 10:51:53 UTC 2017

About the reading of the name, an anecdote:
I once asked my teacher, Nagao Gadjin (Masato!) how one would know how to
read the name of a Japanese scholar. "Ask him" as his answer. "Yes, but
what if he is dead?" "Then you're out of luck!"
The list I made of Prof Nagao's bibliography was checked by him, but it is
possible that 1) either he missed my error, or 2) he knew the scholar and
pronounced his name as Tateshiro, or 3) he simply did not care. For most
Japanese in most circumstances, a first name would not be used in any
event, unless quite intimate, so it really doesn't matter, or 4) the
scholar in question used both interchangeably himself (this happens more
than you would imagine, even to the point--see above--where one might ask a
Japanese scholar "Do you pronounce your name as A (Sino-Japanese fashion)
or B (Japanese fashion)?" and get the answer: as you wish!

best, Jonathan