[INDOLOGY] Alpamṛtyu

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 20:30:08 UTC 2017

I wonder if list members might throw any light on the term alpamṛtyu
occurring in a 17th-century Sanskrit text (Yādava's
/Tājikayogasudhānidhi/). I would have supposed it to be a scribal error
for apamṛtyu (in the sense of 'untimely death') were it not that the
metre requires that the first syllable be long. I do not recall seeing
the word in other Sanskrit texts, but a quick web search returns quite a
number of hits in the vernaculars, including some from the
Rāmcaritmānas. However, I am not sure from these whether to understand
alpamṛtyu as untimely death (= akālamṛtyu), as a nearly but not quite
fatal accident, either, or as something else entirely.

Martin Gansten