[INDOLOGY] Help with identification of an apparent grammatical sūtra

Buchta, David david_buchta at brown.edu
Tue Jun 27 19:19:09 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

In his commentary on the second verse of the *Devīmāhātmya, *Śantanu gives
a string of glosses of the word *māyā*. The first gloss he gives is: *māty
asyāṃ viśvaṃ māyā/ mākābhyām ayac/  *The first part of this is quite
straightforward, but I can't make heads or tails of the second part. It has
the appearance of a sūtra providing for an affix *ayaC *after *mā *and *kā *
(*kai*?), but it's not from the *Aṣṭādhyāyī, Mahābhāṣya, *or the
*Uṇādisūtras*. And *Uṇādisūtra *4.109 (*māchāsasisūbhyo yaḥ*) is normally
cited to derive *māyā. *If anyone has any insight on what this might be,
please let me know.

If you want to see the larger context, this is a link for a PDF of a
beautiful 1903 edition by Gaṅgāviṣṇu Śrīkṛṣṇadāsa that our library at Brown
digitized, in which this comment appears on 2r: (The file is 169 MB)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wksu2wnlb5v0gat/Durg%C4%81%C5%9Bapta%C5%9Bat%C4%AB%20%C5%9A%C4%81ntanav%C4%AB%20comm.pdf?dl=0

Thanks,
David

*[image: Inline image 1]*