Re: [INDOLOGY] kucchiroga / kukṣiroga

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 03:57:18 UTC 2017

Dear Petra,

The book, A Critical Appraisal of Ayurvedic Material in Buddhist Literature
with Special Reference to Tripitaka, by Jyotir Mitra (Varanasi, 1985),
refers to kucchi-roga on p. 244, merely calling it "abdominal disorders."
However, it gives references: Jataka I.243, and Anguttaranikaya X.6.60. I
do not have the Pali commentaries on these texts, but they might possibly
gloss kucchiroga.

This book on p. 233 also refers to a list of 34 rogas at Niddesa I.18 that
includes kucchiroga. Again, the commentary might be worth checking.

The term kucchiroga is not in the glossary to Jinadasa Liyanaratne's
English translation of chapters 1-18 of the Bhesajjamanjusa (The Casket of
Medicine). The remaining chapters of the Pali text (which have been
published, but I do not have them) might also be worth checking.

Sorry if you have already checked all these things.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.