Re: [INDOLOGY] kucchiroga / kukṣiroga

petra kieffer-puelz kiepue at t-online.de
Fri Jun 16 09:31:20 UTC 2017

Dear Arlo, David, and Dagmar,

thanks for your replies and suggestions, and for the link to the Bodewitz’ article. I searched SARIT, and saw kuṣiroga listed in various medical texts. The Pali texts and commentaries do not give any specific description.

In the case examined by me Srilankans made three attempts to travel to Burma, and each time they landed in India, they fell ill with kucchiroga. It is said that at the third time eight of ten returned to Sri Lanka because of the fear to be afflicted by kucchiroga. Thus I thought it might be a disease common in South India in the middle of the 19th c. CE. But eventually it had to do with the water they drank or food they ate, and they died of dysentery or diahorrea, which seems to have been a common cause of death in that time.

I thank all of you, and those who contacted me offline, for your input
Petra