Re: [INDOLOGY] Question regarding Ācāryaśāpa

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Wed Jun 7 09:16:46 UTC 2017

Interestingly, Lalitha Kumari (see the references I gave in my previous post) when discussing the term anācāra, refers to the work of S. Venkitasubramonia Iyer (Religion, Art and Culture, Trivandrum: College Book House, 1977, p. 4) which evokes the grammatical explanation or Nārāyaṇa Bhaṭṭatiri in his Prakriyāsarvasva (TSS 174 vol., p. 187 - I cannot check) according to whom the name has to be explained as "na ācāraḥ - anācāraḥ" with the particle na meaning "equal to", "other than", "opposed to", "absent from", "a little", and "contemptible" (nañ tulyānyaviruddhābhāvālpakṣepeṣu), whereas the Śāṅkarasmṛti explains it in the sense of "absent from" (abhāva). Cf. LDhP 12,4.2:
anyatra_ācāraṇa-abhāvād anācārān bhṛgu-udvahaḥ /
yān ācaṣṭa catuḥṣaṣṭim ākhyāsye tatra tān api //
"I shall enumerate all the 64 irregular habits there that the scion of Bhṛgu called so because these conducts are not found elsewhere" (Parpola).
"Irregular habits" is in this case more appropriate than "repugnant customs", "bad habits" or "mal-obsevances".

It is possible that the portion listing the sixty four anācāras and corresponding to adhyāya 12, pāda 4 of the  Laghudharmaprakāśikā, was separately known as the Anācāra-nirṇaya.

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve