Re: [INDOLOGY] Question regarding Ācāryaśāpa

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Wed Jun 7 08:16:08 UTC 2017

Kane lists this work in his HDŚ (I/1, p. 990), but apparently does not discuss it anywhere in his book (I have checked indexes to all volumes). This is confirmed by Derret:

1/ "Most anācāra works are late. Kane mentions without particulars only the Anācāra-nirṇaya. K iii, 848, 856 f., discusses the earliest treatment of anomalous customs."
(Essays in Classical and Modern Hindu Law, vol. 2, Leiden: Brill, 1977, p. 62, n. 190)

2/ "On anācāra see ibid. [= Religion, Law and the State in India] 103, 193. Kane, HD I, 508 (Anācāra-nirṇaya, no particulars)."
(Dharmaśāstra and Juridical Literature, HIL 5.1, Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, p. 22, n. 114).

Interesting is another Derret's note:

"The Sanskrit for 'repugnant custom' is anācāra.  Works devoted to this topic (see Bhāratīya Vidyā, 6 (1945), pp. 27 ff.)  are all late."
(Religion, Law and the State in India, Delhi, Oxord University Press, 1999, p. 158, n. 1.)

The paper from BhV quoted by Derret is:

P. K. Gode, "Some Provincial Social Customs and Manners as durācāras by Varadarāja (a pupil of Bhaṭṭoji Dīkṣita) – (c. A.D. 1600–1660)"

Gode quotes here an interesting dialog from the Gīrvāṇapadamañjarī that lists 17 durācāras from different parts of India.

LO