Re: [INDOLOGY] Question regarding Ācāryaśāpa

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Wed Jun 7 07:56:22 UTC 2017

It seems that  Burnell refers here with this alternative (?) title (not found in the catalogues of MSS. from Kerala at hand, still to check in the NCC) to the Laghudharmaprakāśikā attributed to one Śāṅkara, also known as Śāṅkarasmṛti (ed. and English transl. N.P. Unni, Torino [Corpus Iuris Sanscriticum, 4], 2003 ; Unni dates the text to the 14th century AD; see also his Highways and Byways in Sanskrit Literature, New Delhi: Bharatiya Book Corporation, 2012, vol. 1 pp. 393-415 ; and A Survey of Smrti Literature, Thiruvananthapuram: International School of Dravidian Linguistics, 2013, pp. 153-158). On the anācāras of Kerala, see also C. Lalitha Kumari,  Laghudharmaprakāśikā: A Study, Delhi: New Bharatiya Book Corporation, 2004, pp. 116-38 (with a discussion of the term) and the Appendices (by Asko Parpola) in Parpola, Marjatta Kerala Brahmins in Transition: A Study of a Nampūtiri Family, Helsinki: the Finnish Oriental Society (Studia Orientalia, 91), 2000, pp. .

https://archive.org/stream/ordinancesofmanu00manu#page/n55/mode/2up

> I wonder if anyone has come across this work titled Anācāranirṇaya.  Any help?
>
> Madhav Deshpande
> Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
>      In one of the curious passages of the Vedavicāra (written by Śāmaśāstrī Draviḍa Dvivedī) that I am editing, the author says that though the Gurjara's are included among Drāviḍas, other Drāviḍas do not have any educational, ritual or marriage relations with them, because like the Gauḍadeśa, there is too much anācāra "immoral behavior" among them, and like the Brahmins of Kerala, they were cursed by an Ācārya, and therefore, other Drāviḍas do not have any relations with them.  Here is the passage from the text:
>
> यथा गुर्जराणां द्राविडान्तःपातिनामपि द्राविडैः सह भोजनादिसंव्यवहारादिकं नास्ति, तथैवाध्ययनादिकमपीति ज्ञेयम् । कुतो गुर्जराणां संव्यवहाराभाव इति चेदुच्यते । गौडदेशवद्गुर्जरदेशेऽप्यनाचारबाहुल्यात् तेषामाचार्यशापदग्धत्वात्केरलदेशीयब्राह्मणादिवत्संव्यवहाराभाव इति संक्षेपः ।
>
> If anyone has a clue as to what this Ācāryaśāpa refers to, it would help me make better sense of this passage.  Similarly, it is not clear what anācārabāhulya he is referring to in the Gauḍa/Gurjara and Kerala regions.  Any suggestions will be helpful.  Best,
>
> Madhav Deshpande
> Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve