Re: [INDOLOGY] Question regarding Ācāryaśāpa

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Jun 6 23:06:02 UTC 2017

I found an interesting reference in A. C. Burnell's The Ordinances of Manu,
(Intro. p. xxxvii) to a work titled Anācāranirṇaya composed in Kerala to
discuss "deviations" from Brahmanical Dharmaśāstras.  According the
footnote on this page, this work was evidently attributed to Śaṅkara.  This
may be the source of Śāmaśāstrī Draviḍa Dvivedi using the expression
ācāryaśāpadagdha to refer to these regions.  Here is the passage from
Burnell:

[image: Inline image 1]
I wonder if anyone has come across this work titled Anācāranirṇaya.  Any
help?

Madhav Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA