[INDOLOGY] HTML definition of Unicode characters for r and l with "underring"?

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:30:31 UTC 2017

What is wrong with combinations? Anyone computing with Unicode should be
able to understand a combining character as a part of the preceding
character.

For characters such as ऋ, ॠ, ऌ, ॡ, no one should use any private area
characters. They are not officially sanctioned.

The official character combination for ऋ is: r̥ (r + 0x325)
The official character combination for ॠ is: r̥̄ (r + x0325 + x0304)
The official character combination for ऌ is: l̥ (l + 0x325)
The official character combination for ॡ is: l̥̄ (l + x0325 + x0304)

ISO 15919 transliterations
ISODevanagariBengaliGujaratiOriyaTeluguKannadaMalayalamSinghalese
r̥ ऋ ঋ ઋ ଋ ఋ ಋ ഋ ඍ
r̥̄ ॠ ৠ ૠ ୠ ౠ ೠ ൠ ඎ
l̥ ऌ ঌ ઌ ଌ ఌ ಌ ഌ ඏ
l̥̄ ॡ ৡ ૡ ୡ ౡ ೡ ൡ ඐ

Look at all the combinations that are possible with letter r:
http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/unicode/unicsel/lat/0072.htm

Suresh.