[INDOLOGY] Eli Franco and the Fate of Indology

Herman Tull hermantull at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:18:41 UTC 2017

I undoubtedly will regret this later, but I must throw in my "two cents"
here.

Let us not forget, the *Nay Science* was published by a highly reputable
press (OUP). Of course, that does not mean that the book should then not be
judged on its own merits. But, having said this, I happen to have read the
book cover to cover (and read it quite carefully, having an upcoming review
of the work). Not unlike any scholarly work, it has its merits and its
demerits, but the important point here is that it decidedly is a work of
scholarship (and, again, I cite its publication history). Works of
scholarship justly invite discussion. Indeed, having actually read the
work, I consider the polemical nature of the *Nay Science *to be among its
strongest elements. Agree or disagree with the authors contentions, their
work invites serious reflection, both on the nature of Indological
scholarship as well as on the nature of the humanities in general (this
critique emerges in the final chapters of the *Nay Science*).

I, for one, am grateful for the authors' boldness and for their willingness
to continue challenging "received" wisdom. And, yes, such challenges do at
times fairly engage issues of personal identity (Jewish; German; Indian)
insofar as these issues emerge in an individual's scholarship. But to
engage them as a matter of "race" is as undignified as it is illegitimate.

Herman Tull
Lafayette College