[INDOLOGY] Eli Franco and the Fate of Indology

Roland Steiner steiner at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Jan 16 15:25:25 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

I, for my part, am irritated by the insinuated interpretation of
Professor Falk's remark which I understand in the following way:

The incriminated subclause "because they are Indians"  -- in the
phrase: "they want to be taken as authorities, because they are
Indians" -- does *not* specify the reason of "their" wish for being
"taken as authorites" (in the sense: because they are Indians, they
want to be taken as authorities, i.e. Indians want generally to be
taken as authorities). Instead, it specifies their presumed
*individual* reason for being "taken as authorities" (= they want: to
be taken as authorities merely for the reason that they are Indians).
One may agree or disagree to this analysis of their motives, but I
cannot see any reason for being "appalled and saddened" by this phrase.

With best wishes

Roland Steiner